We affirm that we are followers of Jesus Christ and dedicate ourselves to being His hands and feet in the world today. We shall strive to be open, accepting and loving of all God’s people and unite our efforts to serve with love. We dedicate ourselves to learning, teaching and growing in our Catholic faith. We come together to worship and celebrate for the glory of God. We shall strive to focus our goals and efforts for the benefit of all, trusting in the Spirit’s guidance.
In the first few years of the 20th century, there were only a handful of Catholics in Richmond and Scotland counties. About once a month, Rev. W.B. Hannon would come from Southern Pines or Fayetteville and say Mass in the homes of various Catholic families in Hamlet, and then travel on to Ghio to offer Mass in the rustic St. Francis Xavier church which was built in 1897 by members of the Scholl family, German immigrants. As the number of Catholics grew, Father Hannon had the original St. James church built on what is now Rice Street in Hamlet. It was dedicated on July 3, 1910 by Bishop Haid of Belmont Abbey and served all of Richmond County. Ten years later, the town of Hamlet decided to cut a street through the land of where the Church was situated, and the building was moved to 309 Main Street where it remained until the new church was built in 1989.
Even though the church was built in 1910, there was no resident priest in Hamlet. Father W. J. Dillon came from Southern Pines every two weeks to say Mass. The rectory was added following World War I by Rev. Paul G. Termer what became the first pastor in 1919 and remained for 12 years.
St James had its first wedding in 1912 when Miss Anne Clarke married Frank Thilmont of Chicago.
The congregation remained small until World War II when due to the opening of Camp McCall in Hoffman, NC. Two Assistant priests were needed to help Rev Howard Lane, the pastor at that time. Due to the large number of soldiers, Mass was offered not only in the church, but also in the local movie theaters as well as in a chapel in a Rockingham funeral home.
With the increased relocation of families from the northern states to the more temperate climate in the South, the congregation increased so that by the mid 1980's the parishioners under the guidance of Pastor Fred Gilbert raised funds to build the current church located at 1018 West Hamlet Ave, Hamlet, NC.
The present church was dedicated in November, 1989 by Bishop John F. Donoghue from Charlotte.
St James Catholic Church
1018 West Hamlet Avenue
Hamlet, NC 28345
Weekend Mass Times
Saturday Vigil: 5:00pm
Sunday: 10:30am (English) 1:30pm (Spanish)
Sacred Heart Mission
205 S. Rutherford St.
Wadesboro, NC 28170
Weekend Mass Times
Sunday: 8:30am (English)